Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Happenings with my "brewery"


I have been somewhat busy the last few weeks building a few pieces of equipment to be able to brew a batch of beer. I have one thing left to build and then it will be time for brewing the Centennial Blonde I have been planning for awhile.

So, on to what I have built:

Here is the final product of the keg I cut up a few weeks ago. I have mounted a three piece stainless steel valve and a sight glass with a thermometer and graduations. Not pictured is the inside of the kettle where there is a stainless steel pickup tube that goes to the bottom of the keg.






A wort chiller, which is used for cooling down hot wort ("raw" un-fermented beer) before adding yeast and beginning fermentation. Hoses were mounted on each side and one side is hooked up to a garden hose.







This is a detail shot of the coil and the copper wire I used to tie everything together.



I also built an inline water filter with a carbon insert that will remove the chlorine from tap water. I can hang the filter on the side of the keg and control the flow with a valve. I will post pictures of this later.

The cooling coil and kettle were leak tested last night and, with any luck, I can finish interpreting a water quality report I got and build one last piece of equipment today. That way I can brew tomorrow in addition to bottling the Apfelwein I started six weeks ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment